about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Tuesday, August 29

Vanilla Beans and other Handy Tips

I wonder if these kind of smiles just come about naturally when you're around Giada.

This pic really has nothing to do with the post. Just thought it was funny. I make that face all the time when I'm about to eat a donut, too.

No, what I'm really concerned about is the amount of times I've been "taught" what a vanilla bean is, and how to use it while cooking.



Okay, I started watching the Food Network in earnest when I was an early- college lad (not that long ago) in an attempt to learn more about cooking, as I was living away from my parents. I'm sure the first time I saw Ina or Dave or Giada or Pauler or Emeril slice open a vanilla bean I was thoroughly intrigued. Now, however, I know how to do it. No need to keep reminding me what one is, how there are seeds inside that create those little "flecks" you see in vanilla ice cream, and how even I can make my own vanilla sugar!


I suppose there are others out there who need the instruction, but I bet they are caught up by now, too. It's the same thing when Rachael reminds us what EVOO stands for. Or when Ina reminds us that none of our ingredients will ever compare to the quality she owns, grows, or creates by Hamptons magic.



Just kidding Ina. You know I love you.

My former roommate Sarah and I made Emeril's
banana cream pie with caramel drizzles and chocolate sauce last Thanksgiving and it was awesome. Used a real vanilla bean and everything:-) So, thank you Food Network for your awesome tips. I got the vanilla bean down.

Labels:

 

6 Comments:

At 8/29/2006 10:13 PM , Blogger amanda said...

As we spoke about earlier, Jamie Oliver started this trend on his first show, which FN never shows anymore. :( I also enjoy the recent addition of how to cut, peel, and grate ginger. This is making quite a splash, and it might catch up to the vaniller bean instructions soon. :)

 
At 8/30/2006 1:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all, LOVE the site. i found this on a link at tv gasm. i am also addicted to the FN, and along the lines of this post regarding the instruction of the vanilla bean, how many times is rachael, giada etc., going to explain to us what a 'roux' is?

ps how can one log in here to leave coments if you do not have a blogger or google account?

 
At 8/30/2006 2:05 PM , Blogger jacob said...

thanks for visiting, anonymous! glad you found it. I know... the roux might still be a little tough for me. I know what it is, though:-)

I'm pretty sure I have it set up so anyone can comment (like your anonymous one). I'll check.

 
At 9/14/2006 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that she gets all of her Vanilla Beans from Beanilla Vanilla

 
At 9/15/2006 2:14 PM , Blogger jacob said...

I hadn't heard of the Beanilla. Thanks! I usually stick to the store brand, but maybe I'll splurge around christmas time. Whole Foods has the kind Ina uses from Madagascar... it's like $20 for a small bottle.

 
At 9/18/2006 9:10 AM , Blogger jacob said...

wow. they must have cut out the explanation for time or more cleavage shots:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive