about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Tuesday, September 19

Everyone really does need some R&R After Watching



Well, Rachael has debuted and the reviews are pouring in. I'm still a little overwhelmed from watching it and might need to take a Valium or something before my next viewing. The first thing I noticed was just how LOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDDDD Rachael was speaking... virtually the entire show. It's fine to come out and try to yell over the audience's applause to try to quiet them down, but she never seemed to come down from that decibel level.



Her set is unlike anything I've ever seen. The way her audience is seated, theater-style on one level, goes against what most of us recognize as a "studio audience" seating arrangement. It might work, though. I read that, since the audience rotates on a giant lazy-susan, the show consulted the engineering experts at Disney (or Universal?) who pioneered this type of "rotating ride." And, in fact, when the audience rotates, it does look a lot like a theme park ride. Maybe RayRay should be up there reminding them to keep their hands and arms inside their chairs at all time.


Rachael was bubbly as ever, but the New York Times took the bubbly characterization one step further: "Ms. Ray's first show was beyond bubbly. Watching it was like opening a shaken bottle of club soda and having it fizz all over the room."

The
Hollywood Reporter notes: "It's likely that Ray will tone down the tempo to merely rapid as she settles into the big chair, though she probably will never have the effortless bearing that Ellen DeGeneres and Rosie O'Donnell brought to the stage. Breaking from the gate, she skirts the fine line between endearing and annoying and could tip either way."

I agree that Rosie and Ellen premiered with shows that were much more at-ease and not filled with the nervous energy Rachael couldn't seem to let go. I can attribute this to the fact that both Rosie and Ellen were both stand-up comedians and actresses before they ever got their show. Both had significantly more experience performing in front of a live audience.

UPDATED BELOW AT 12:23




The woman who sent a video in saying she had a huge fear of heights, and the only way to overcome it would be to skydive with Rachael, seemed a little canned. Maybe I'll send in a video saying I have a huge fear of driving and the only way I'll be able to overcome it is to have Rachael buy me a Porsche.

The cooking segments were all right, but she was just a little too over the top-- even for me. It seemed like she was trying to perform too much for the audience instead of just being "herself" (a.k.a. the "herself" we know from 30MM). I assume this will tone itself down, too.

Other people have commented that her interview style was a little wacky, too. She did interrupt Diane Sawyer and few times and comment that the "thinnest socks ever" according to Diane were "big and fluffy." Brain was elsewhere on that one, RayRay.

Still, I think Rachael has all the makings for a good show. I think with a little guidance (and a few slaps on the wrist) from Oprah, she'll be fine.

Labels:

 

12 Comments:

At 9/19/2006 11:59 AM , Blogger jacob said...

it's almost as if she didn't trust the ability of her microphone to do its job. you never hear oprah or ellen screaming the way she was.

 
At 9/19/2006 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you look at the BLING she's wearing? That thing could shackle an elephant!

 
At 9/20/2006 2:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to be so brash, but I'm already tired of the bitch. She's rude to her staff, attention-starved, and she constantly interrupts her guests. That's not nervous energy. That's plain, old-fashioned bitchiness and poor upbringing. Please, Rachael, don't ever have kids or adopt them. They will take the attention away from you, and you won't stand for that! I can't wait for this show to get canned. She's got enough annoying, loud shows...I have never been more tempted to bitchslap someone.

 
At 9/20/2006 8:37 AM , Blogger jacob said...

she does have a penchant for large, gold necklaces.

as for drowninevoo, there are a lot of strong feelings out there about Ms. Ray and you have the right to express yours. Also, feel free to turn Rachael off:-) There are a multitude of other shows/personalities out there... may I suggest "Girls Next Door"? =) Hate Kendra if you wanna hate someone.

Actually, no. There's enough hate right now in the world. I'm just trying to have fun with this.

 
At 9/20/2006 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To DrownInEVOOBitch, dude I'll admit she's way over the top and obiviously feeling the pressure of jumping to the big time, but "old-fashioned bitchiness and poor upbringing?" Seems like that comment should be more directed at you give your criticism.

 
At 9/21/2006 1:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are free to say you love her and would kiss her big asscheeks if you could get close enough, and I am free to say that I can't stand the woman. She should be outed for what she really is, and she's mean to people and turns on the charm when she needs to. My hateful words come from anger that people like her get so far in life. Besides that, I never said I HATED anyone. I'm not going to go hate Kendra from "Girls Next Door". She may be dumber than a box o' rocks, but she's sweet and down to earth. P.S. I did change the channel...all I had to watch were a few minutes, and I had had enough.

 
At 9/21/2006 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that was on the spot, concise criticism from DrownInEVOOBitch, and I had strict parents and a Catholic school education.

 
At 9/21/2006 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I had a couple of run-on sentences, but damnit, I'm fired up.

 
At 10/02/2006 12:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachael Ray is the most irritating person on TV since Charo!

Her excessive exaggerated hand gestures and arm flailing are nerve-racking and her fake giggle is nauseating.

How could Oprah invest in this annoying, obnoxious twit?

 
At 10/25/2006 11:26 PM , Blogger Rea said...

From reading the posts here........it seems like almost everyone has nothing to say but NEGATIVE things about Rachael.
I for one love Rachael......(I went to school with her and she is a very loving, caring, honest and adorable person in my view). In fact I just got an email from her a few weeks ago......and she is sad to know that some PPL dislike her when all she is doing is BEING HERSELF. She's NOT FAKE like a lot of Celebrities who are only out there to make the world love them at any cost and to be self centered.
I am sure that most all of you have halos. So, of course we should all bow down to that........since none of you have anyone who dislikes you for any reason at all. You are all PERFECT in every way.
But really now..........
You are all entitled to your own thoughts of her.......as I am entitled to my opinion of her....(and of you).

However, I just have one question.........If you all think she is soooo damn annoying then WHY do you bother watching any of her shows at all? It just seems sort of odd to me that you would invest so much time into something you profess to loath.

 
At 10/26/2006 3:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always thought Rachael was adorable, fun and energetic. I think all the critical commenters are most likely boorish and bland. Sure, somebody who is unchained energy embodied is going to irritate the hell out of you. But don't smash on the rest of us, or her, for being able to handle that level of energy. This is just somebody who REALLY loves what she does. She's fired up and motivated. Good. I hope it starts to rub off on more people. I'm tired of all the Eeyore's out there...bitchin and griping about their BS lives. Maria, next time you talk with her, let her know I think she's awesome, I know I'm not alone, and don't change a thing. I never liked either Oprah or Ellen. There are very few TV shows I drop what I'm doing to watch. Anytime I see or hear Rachael, I'm glued to the seat.

 
At 10/26/2006 8:53 AM , Blogger jacob said...

maria & sgth: I'm really glad to hear more positive opinions of Rachael. As with most powerful women in the world, the majority of what you hear is negative. It's what stirs up controversy!

I, as the writer for this blog, do not ever profess to hate anyone or any show on the Food Network. The slight jeers I occasionally take on certain people are never intended as being hurtful or to imply that I "wish they would die" as I just read in print yesterday, directed toward Rachael. Yuck!

There's enough hate in the world. I think the Food Network is entertaining, as well as educational. I find enjoyment in my favorite shows; I find enjoyment in the shows that I don't necessarily "love."

Yes, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I do think the people who write the nasty comments are doing a great disservice to themselves since they spend a such a large amount of time simply trying to explain why they hate someone so much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive