about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Wednesday, October 11

Ellie is Spooky Good Fun



I've already made this Ellie/Elvira comparison before, but since it's getting close to my favorite holiday, Halloween, I thought I'd show it again. I hope Ellie does a Halloween episode because I think she'd make a great vampire, witch, evil queen... the list goes on. Quite a nice (and preferable) counterpart to Sandra Lee's pretty "princess" dress we've seen her in a few times.

If you subscribe to the Wall Street Journal online, check out this interview Ellie did along with another registered dietician about the importance of breakfast.

I really like Ellie's show, Healthy Appetite; last Saturday's episode was especially good. The scenes of her outdoors in New York are not only beautiful to watch, but you actually learn something. These normally asinine segments--the ones of hosts out "picking up a few things" or smiling and laughing with their neighborhood butcher--actually have a point on Ellie's show.

Ellie cooks and eats a lot like I do in real life, which is probably why I like her so much. While I love Ina and Paula, I hardly ever cook the way they do. And that's not just because of a lack of time or funds, but because--even at my young age-- I know I shouldn't be eating like that. That's just me, though. Ina's mac 'n cheese with gruyere still looked good as heck to me; don't get me wrong.

I would hope that people understand moderation when it comes to dishes like that. Ina and Paula sort of create this false world in which it's totally fine to be eating a pound of butter with heavy cream daily.

Ellie seems to understand how "a little bit" can go a long way. When her dishes do call for things like butter, chocolate or mayonaisse it's always a minimal amount. Typically, you still end up with a lot of flavor. I love how Ina always "explains" her reasoning for using way too much of anything ("I know 4 sticks looks like a lot of butter, but it's the sauce for the entire dish." Oh! All right, then!).

I know critics claim that Paula cooks "the way most mothers in the country do." I know mine doesn't.

So, that's my little rave on Ellie Krieger. Check out her Web site sometime and her show at 1 p.m. ET/12 Central on Saturdays. As I've said before, I typically hate myself for still sitting around watching the food network by 1:30 p.m. on a Saturday, but at least with Ellie I'm gettin' something good.

Labels:

 

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 6:50 PM , Blogger jacob said...

Yes. Quick Fix Meals with Robin Miller still appears Saturday mornings (I think 9:30 ET?), although I'm not that big of a fan. She has good ideas, but maybe when I have 5 kids or something.

Glad you enjoy ellie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive