about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Tuesday, November 28

Dave Does MREs

I haven't commented on any of the Dave Does webisodes lately. Sorry Dave! I think I did what I said I wouldn't do and forgot to keep watching. It's also been a busy holiday season and such. Umm... anyhow, they are still enjoyable. The one I just watched about MREs was really good.

What's a MRE, you ask? Dave explains it dressed up like a drill sergeant:



Something about Dave in army gear that just seems right.

Hmmm... anyhow, a MRE is a Meal Ready to Eat (the military loves acronyms). Dave takes us on a little tour of the current state of MREs and what we're doing to ensure our soldiers are satisfied.



You can't really see in this pictures, but Dave's feeling the steam coming out of that FRH (flameless ration heater). It's some chemical reaction, blah blah, that can raise the temp. of food 100 degrees. Pretty neat!

The soldiers also showed Dave how you can make a home made bomb out of one. So resourceful! Sandra Lee might wanna do a show on that.



When it came time to tasting one of these "entrees" Dave did his best. He put some cheese sauce onto some pasta and just shoveled it in.



Not the best thing in the world, but I imagine it's great when you're starving.

Dave also takes a look at the MREs campers and hikers can choose from (yes, normal citizens can enjoy them, too!)



He agrees to try a little Pad Thai packet that you just pour boiling water into and wait 10 minutes. Dave does this silly little bit with the salesboy about the waiting. Oh Dave, who writes these things for you? :-)

It was supposedly "not that bad" and had "lots of flavor." Hmm... right. I'll stick to hotdogs and smores.

And finally, Dave shows us the joys of MREs to take on the airplane, now that so many airlines have cut food service. I've flown a lot in the past year and have generally been able to find SOMEthing in the airport.

Somehow my inner need for McDonald's kicks in when I think it's the only option (even though there's a thousand places for salad everywhere).

Maybe next time I stay at the Ritz-Carlton I'll get this sandwich Dave helped make:



You can order anything off of room service and have it specially prepared and packaged for you to take to the airport. Nice idea, but I've seen those room service menu prices. I'd rather starve.

:-)

Anyhow, in this fragile time of war, I'm glad to know that Dave is doing his part...




Keep on cooking, Dave!

Labels:

 

2 Comments:

At 11/28/2006 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we start requesting various Dave dress-up shows? Perhaps next we could have Construction Worker Dave, or Cop and Robbers Dave, or Lonely Pool Boy Dave?

:-)

 
At 11/29/2006 3:09 PM , Blogger jacob said...

haha... behave.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive