about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Monday, December 18

Nigella Lawson's Goose is Cooked

Well, you know it's the holidays when the only big news I have to report is that goose fat is flying off the shelves in the UK, and it's all thanks to Nigella Lawson!



FIRST it was Delia and cranberries, then came Jamie's endorsement of nutmeg. Now Nigella Lawson's revelation that goose fat is the secret ingredient behind the perfect roast potato has sent sales rocketing as cooks strive to make the ultimate Christmas dinner.

Okay, I like potatoes. And I like roasted potatoes. But I don't think I'm dying to eat a roasted potato cooked in the fat of a goose.


Is this a common cooking method in the US that I'm just unaware of? I tell yah, I'm just not going bonkers over Nigella yet. Sorry everyone! My friend Amanda seems to have figured out what it is about Ms. Lawson that just isn't rubbing her the right way.

I tend to agree with her, but will take it a step further to say that Nigella just seems a little too overt for me and less playful than Giada or (gasp) Sandra Lee, who each have their own quirky sexiness about them. I don't see Giada or Sandra Lee taking themselves all that seriously when it comes to being sexy (as they shouldn't have to be; they're on food tv), but Nigella seems to bear that "domestic goddess" label wherever she goes.

I know there's lots of people out there who would argue the exact opposite. I will continue to watch Nigella and all will be fine in the world.

Got all your Xmas shopping done?



Labels:

 

10 Comments:

At 12/18/2006 9:17 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I don't know how I feel about Nigella yet. I can't stand Giada though, but I love Rachael and as for Sandra, she makes me laugh, so that's good. LOL.

I'm with you on goose fat. I'm not apt to try that anytime soon.

Almost ready for Christmas here! How about you?

 
At 12/18/2006 9:19 PM , Blogger amanda said...

Well, you beat me to it, but Jamie beat Nigeller. I was going to post on Jamie's use of goose fat in his 2004 Christmas special, but you've done beat me. I am proud, however, that Jamie beat Nigella to this holiday secret punch. I was watching his DVD, that's only out in the UK, the other night, and I cringed with every fiber of my being when he cracked open the can of goose fat. Just as Nigella says, it is apparently THE secret to perfect roast potatoes...which scares me, because I might have to use it for Martin's favorite Christmas side dish.

P.S. Thanks for the shout out. ;)

 
At 12/19/2006 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about Nigella yet either but I love Giada. I don't care for Sandra Lee- though she is pretty the seasoning packets send me over the edge!

 
At 12/19/2006 10:07 AM , Blogger jacob said...

Jennifer: I think the Food Network has done a good job with balancing different types of female chefs/cooks/etc. One for everybody! As for Christmas, let's not talk about it (e.g. it's going to be a giftcard xmas!)

Amanda: please post away about this delectable fat product. I'd love to hear more! What is Martin's favorite dish? Roasted, burning, goose flesh?

Anon: yeah, I don't get the seasoning packets either. She claims it's cheaper and I suppose it is if you make something once and never use some 8 dollar jar again. I'm still stupid and will fork over the extra money for things like "cream of tartar" out of fear something won't turn out right-- even if I only need it for one recipe I'll never make again.

 
At 12/19/2006 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man oh man, that Nigella send my head spinning. I have a thing for women with British accents and hers puts me over the top.

As for Rachel Ray, the only thing about her show I like is the fact that she has an ass I'd like to whack with a car antenna.

 
At 12/20/2006 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don’t know too much about goose fat potatoes, but I made some duck fat potatoes last week, and they were delicious. I imagine that they taste pretty similar to the goose fat variety. bkhuna: funny line about the perky one!

 
At 12/20/2006 1:52 PM , Blogger jacob said...

wow... car antenna. that's a new one.

and to conrad: duck fat was listed as a good alternative in all these goose fat articles i've been reading. I'm sure they really ARE good, it's just the thought of it--in a jar-- that gives me the willies.

 
At 12/21/2006 5:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a cultural thing - the British revere roast potatoes in a way that Americans don't. Achieving that perfect ratio of crunchy exterior to fluffy interior is the holy grail of the roast dinner. And yes, goose fat really does make a difference ;)

 
At 8/12/2007 6:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Nigella! (quite obviously if you see the link) I live in the South and we use bacon fat, so the goose fat doesn't bother me. If you add the potatoes to a goose, they crisp up in it anyway.

 
At 4/07/2008 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delia had Goose Fat on her website years ago :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive