about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Wednesday, April 11

Fieri Fire

Season 2 winner of The Next Food Network Star, Guy Fieri, is on to his next big TV project, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives-- which airs this Sunday on the Food Network.



[Photos]

I tend to be pessimistic about most new shows for some reason. I initially didn't think either one of the contenders (Reggie and Guy) were all that special, but Guy is definitely growing on me.

His new set for Guy's Big Bite is fun and somewhat different than the standard kitchen with island, sink behind, fridge to the side kind of setup.

I have an even better impression of him after reading this article from the Sacramento Bee.

"With Guy, what you see is definitely what you get," says Nick Catelli, a manager at Tex Wasabi's who has known Fieri for more than a decade. "The TV stuff hasn't gone to his head at all. He clears tables. He mops floors. He fills water glasses. Every customer who comes in here asks specifically for Guy, and when he's here, he talks to all of them. His personality hasn't changed one bit."

Both of his restaurants, Johnny Garlic's and Tex Wasabi, sound like they'd have some delicious and fresh-tasting dishes. I've never been to northern California, so I guess I'll just wait for the report from you west-coasters.

On a side note, the platinum blond bleach look is out, Guy. I doubt he'll be changing it anytime soon, though:-)

Labels: ,

 

9 Comments:

At 4/11/2007 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this new show a re-hashing of "Road Tasted," "Feasting on Asphalt," "The Hungry Detective," and every other show on the Food Network where a host travels cross country to find new/weird/odd stuff?

For something interesting - go to the Travel Channel and watch Andrew Zimmerman - Bizarre Foods. Not for the faint of heart...still a little of the same premise, but you won't find anyone on the Food Network eating sheep eyeballs.

 
At 4/12/2007 8:41 AM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

I saw "Big Bite" for the first time this weekend, and while I liked Guy during FN Star, I can't stand the show. I'm particularly put off by the fact that his buddies are apparently named Cletus and Dirty P. I don't want anyone named Cletus or Dirty P. within 500 feet of my food.

 
At 4/12/2007 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol! I really enjoy watching Big Bite, when I get the chance, it's definitely catering to a younger audience, in my opinion. What I like is that Guy's food actually makes me want to try it, he's got a great personality and makes cooking look like something any guy can do well, if he tried. He keeps it simple, yet with his own twist.

 
At 4/12/2007 8:50 AM , Blogger jacob said...

anon: i will check that out. i love sheep eyeballs. i'd even start watched ROAD TASTED if Bobby Deen ate an eyeball every once in a while;-)

jordan: oh my. i've seen some episodes with them and some with Guy alone. they kind of act like his goofy stoner buddies, just chilling in the background playing pool waiting for the food to temporarily relieve their munchies, don't they?

 
At 4/12/2007 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit I am no fan of Guy's. I find him to be loud, crass, and generally far too Blue Collar for my taste. Plus his food has a tendency to look like stuff you would find on the menu at Friday's. Finally, every time I see the commercial for the new show, I count the number of words he uses that will never cross my lips, including "baby" and "grub." I think he's part of the FN's big push to grab young male viewer with T&T -- tits and testoterone. I'd rather watch Michael, thank you very much.

 
At 4/12/2007 8:39 PM , Blogger Madeline said...

We tried the new Tex Wasabi's here is Sactown for my husband's birthday. I wouldn't say the food was to die for (there's certainly better sushi spots here), but it was adequate and had a fun attitude. I mean sushi with french fried in it? How can you not order that?

We had a great time and will definitely go back. Although, I did spend half the night trying to see if Guy was there....

 
At 4/16/2007 1:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Guy's home town and I have to say Tex Wasabis is one of the best restuarants I've ever been to. The drinks, the food, etc. have always been WODNERFUL! I have been going there for years and I just love that Guy is our local celebrity :o) Definitely worth the trip to Northern California!!!

 
At 4/16/2007 7:31 PM , Blogger jacob said...

harry: haha... to each his own, the FN would say. Maybe a Michael vs. Guy throwdown kinda thing would inspire you?

madeline: yeah, the fusion aspect just sounds really cool. i've been to korean fusion places, but the sushi itself typically remains pretty standard. that's cool that you checked it out.

heather: i will; i will. when i do my northern california tour soon.

 
At 6/28/2007 3:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Initially I didn't care for him but he has grown on me a bit. It seems as though sometimes he's trying a little too hard (even though he may not be). I have to say though, when I was a bit put off by one his shows where he made taquitos. The looked great but I couldn't stand the name of "No Can Beato this Taquito" -WTF ?????? What an insult to the Hispanic community!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive