about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Monday, May 28

Learn your Next Food Network Star Contestants

Are you super excited for Season three of The Next Food Network Star?!?!?!


Me neither.

Ha. I'm a pessimist when it comes to this show, but I think I'll still give it a chance this time around, seeing how I've given chances to Shear Genius, Top Design, Dancing with the Stars, etc. Ummm... my standards have gotten low, okay? :-)

I'm glad that this season will have events taking place outside of the Food Network kitchens from time to time. With competition from other food-related reality shows, the network had to step it up a notch. I hope it does well for the show.

As far as the contestants go, I guess we shall see. All of them have video profiles up and MySpace pages, which is a new feature this season.

The first video I watched was for Viven:



Viven is latina AND used to be a model. Two points for her, or as my high school Spanish teacher would say, "puntas."

The Food Network loves models. Or at least they love the idea of them and would love to hire some if given the chance.

You knew that Ellie Krieger used to model for Wilhemina, right?

Viven has some busty-bust pictures up on her MySpace, which may even give Giada some competition.


Janice Dickinson may be a few years older than Viven, but I fear she might evoke a similar look once given some white eyeshadow and a low-cut dress.

The other video I watched was Paul's:


Paul is also a caterer, which technically should work to his advantage-- considering season one's winners, The Hearty Boys, were caterers, as well.

However, many folks I've heard from consider the Hearty Boys' time slot (something like 8 a.m. on Sundays) to be an indicator of their success... or lack there of. I'm not sure I totally believe that, but they certainly don't get as much airtime as Guy FIERI (who has as of late started pronouncing his last name like he's Giada).

Paul kind of seems like he could be Dave Lieberman's older cousin. He's got the solid polo shirt down and the tossled brown hair.

However, in his video he says the name of his show would be "Chef Paul's Simply Fabulous Party Food."


His mantra is "keep it simple, but make it fabulous."

Umm... I think Ina already took that mantra, Paul. Try another one.

And Semi-homemade is taken, too.

While Paul definitely seems fun, I'm not sure if the Food Network and its viewers are really ready for someone so fabulous quite yet.

People who watched season 2 and can remember runner-up Reggie can back me up. People loved him throughout the season, but weren't quite willing to give him the go-ahead with his own show. Instead, some dude with tats and guys playin' pool behind him has TWO shows on the network. Hmm...

I'm not sayin' it's right... just true.
___________________________________________

Did you have a fun holiday? I was in NYC which was great. Didn't see any celebs or go to any Food Network star's restaurants, though. Maybe next time.

Labels: ,

 

10 Comments:

At 5/28/2007 9:58 PM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

Oooh. . .comparing Guy' and Giada's pronunciation is so wrong. Giada pronounces Italian words with an authentic if overdetermined accent.

Guy rolls the R in Fieri, pronouncing it "Fieddi."

Italians do not roll Rs.

This is reason #748 on my list of reasons I think Guy is a douchebag.

 
At 5/29/2007 8:29 AM , Blogger jacob said...

I meant more in the "overdetermined" way and not in an authentic way.

I think I had problems with that while in Italy last year. They shunned me and my rolled Rs:-( Luckily, when I went to Spain I was celebrated.

This pronunciation by FN-stars could be a whole post to itself. Recently, Ina called hummus something like "OOO-mas." And the middle-eastern bakery I buy mine from spells it "Homous."

Signed, Confused in D.C.

 
At 5/29/2007 12:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great comment about the Paul/Reggie connection.

The addition of Guy's two friends to his show makes me wanna throw beer cans at the TV (which I'm sure they would find very appropriate)

Harry

 
At 5/29/2007 2:08 PM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

I just love the fact that he mispronounces his own last name. It reminds me of Hyancinth Bucket (pronounced "Booo-kay) on. . .oh, whatever that old BBC show with Hyacinth Bucket was.

It also makes me think that he's one of those people who thinks that merely being Italian makes him tough. I'm very happy that I'm a girl and got over those delusions when I was 18 or so--men seem to hang onto them quite a bit longer.

 
At 5/29/2007 7:06 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Color me a cynic but they all look like a bunch of famewhores. Reality TV wannabes.

 
At 5/29/2007 11:41 PM , Blogger Luna said...

Guy looks totally STOOPID in those shorts and just makes me long for Mario. (and no I didn't roll the r in Mario. That time.) ha!

I am looking forward to another season of Hell's Kitchen too. That's coming up soon. I know it's not FN and you're an FN addict, but Gordon Ramsey cracks me up when he starts spitting and they have to bleep him out. ha!

 
At 5/30/2007 10:11 PM , Blogger amanda said...

YES! another FN-celebrity side by side! janice is perhaps my favorite plastic hollywood doll to gaze upon. i always like trying to figure out which plastic piece is the oldest.

 
At 6/16/2007 8:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hearty Boys on FN are finished - actually I don't think they really ever took off.

They are now relegated to doing spots in Chicago for various fairs, etc.

 
At 11/27/2007 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the comments about Guy Fieri... is it true his name is actually Ferry? Did he Italianize his name? He is 100% Californiano not Italiano. He sounds so silly saying "Fieddi" because in Italian 1 r is a lilted r (not the dry American or English r pronounced "are") but to get a rolled r, you MUST have 2 r's. So no matter how you look at he is a moron! As an Italian born teacher of language you guys rock for picking up on this! I thought I was the only one. Let's try and figure out if he is a fraud.

 
At 1/09/2009 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guy Fieri (or Guy Fairy) is so annoying!!! He's on every damn commerial these days. Please Food Network, give us someone else that is not so BIG headed!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive