about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Thursday, July 5

Is Dave Lieberman Dunzo with FN?!?!

I hoped this day would never come, but I fear it's true.

Dave Lieberman may not be returning to Food Network.


I'm still waiting to confirm this with Food Network, but I've already read statements both here (referred to as a "former Food Network host") and here (Bourdain's blog) that indicate he will not be returning to Food Network. Boo.

I have been a big supporter of Dave all along and still think he's one of the most exciting personalities on the network. His work on both of his online series was entertaining, informative and actually really funny. It'd be pretty sad if he truly never returned to the network.

Perhaps his somewhat odd behavior back in February at the Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Fest had something to do with this? This was where Dave suggested Martha Stewart may have had a lesbian encounter while in prison, talked about how "skanky" the girls dressed in Miami, and said people only like Paula Deen because she talks way more than she cooks. Hmmm....

Or perhaps his affiliation with the network was already over by that point.

I may be stressing over this a bit much, as Food Network has a history of letting its stars live on in reruns for years to come (Sara Moulton). Since it doesn't have a regular "season" of new shows (like NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.) it can sneakily get by with not airing new episodes for a while and slowly letting certain shows drift away (Jamie Oliver).

What do you think? I know Dave has this mayonnaise gig, but I'd still live to see him on my TV screen.

Labels: ,

 

13 Comments:

At 7/05/2007 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great scoop. I, for one, will miss him. I found him to be not annoying, which is the #1 factor in causing me to tune out.

Thanks for letting us know. His new gig hardly seems like a step up, or is it just me?

 
At 7/05/2007 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of the most exciting personalities?

i don't think so.

 
At 7/05/2007 8:48 PM , Blogger Mark said...

It wasn't a good sign already when they moved his show from 1:30 pm to 9 am. I sometimes could hardly get up to watch his show. Not to mention his fans were probably mostly young people.

I can't believe Guy Fieri is more popular than Dave. Apparently Guy has more air time now.

 
At 7/05/2007 10:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting personality? He is as dull as unpolished silver.

 
At 7/06/2007 7:57 AM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

No more Dave?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 
At 7/06/2007 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would miss him. I think it's foolhardy to leave behind an affiliation like TFN for a corporate gig like Unilever. Michael Chiarello has a deal with Buitoni, but I don't see him leaving TFN.

 
At 7/06/2007 8:30 AM , Blogger jacob said...

mundane: i think it was just a gig. not necessarily a step up.

anon: go read your robin miller book, then, during his show:-)

mark: it's true that Guy has more on-air time. while i never considered Dave's "gourmet food on a budget" food really all that gourmet, perhaps it was still too gourmet for the network.

anon: while i appreciate your use of simile, i must disagree.

jordan: guess we'll have to resort to only seeing him at mall and food store signings, now.

jeff: i get the feeling he didn't "leave behind" FN, but rather got left behind. i could be wrong, though.

 
At 7/06/2007 10:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Dave. Not overly exciting but I did get some good recipes from him.

 
At 7/06/2007 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark: 9am on the food network on a saturday morning is actually a better timeslot than 1pm imo. at 1pm on a saturday, people are actually getting out of the house. i've found myself watching FN at 9am a lot more often on a weekend than i have at 1pm.

 
At 7/06/2007 7:10 PM , Blogger * said...

I'm not worried. With his culinary street cred firmly anchored by those Arby's endorsements, he won't drift far from the shores of culinary stardom.

 
At 7/08/2007 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh geez, Dave goes and we getta keep Guy!?!?

Ok, he did earn one point with me when he guzzled down a vodka drink *on air* in his show this weekend.

Harry

 
At 7/09/2007 5:47 PM , Blogger amanda said...

jordanbaker took the WORD out of my mouth:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's cause they put him on at 7 in the frickin' morning on Sat. and Sun. Whatever. Now I'm pissed.

 
At 7/09/2007 11:14 PM , Blogger Neon said...

What JordanBaker said. They keep kicking off my favorites and replacing their time slots with repeats of shows we've seen ad nauseum. In my mind, the Food Network has become the "All Emeril All the Semi-Homemade Time BAM! with the EVOO Little Big Head Travel Show, Y'all! Ahahahahah! Jamie and Bobby, can you find me a new star and UNWRAP that star with a CHALLENGE! thrown in. And I.Just.Want.You.To.Have.A.Mocktail, Semi-Ho style" network.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive