about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Tuesday, October 16

Is there such a thing as a BRAVO ADDICT?

In my meeting last week with Bob Tuschman, senior vice president of programming & production at Food Network (oh yeah... :-) more on that to come eventually), we discussed the unique, personal connection that regular viewers of Food Network have-- a connection that doesn't seem to hold true with other networks.


In particular, Bob mentioned Bravo. Is there such a thing as a "Bravo addict?"


While there are numerous shows on Bravo (Project Runway, My Life on the D List and Workout come to mind) that I love, I don't consider myself a Bravo addict... and that's not just because I'm the proprietor of this blog.

I don't just turn Bravo on randomly after work or on the weekends, and since that network doesn't have a selection of regular hosts--other than perhaps James Lipton of Inside the Actor's Studio--I don't have any particular connection or investment with the ones that appear for a few months, only to go into hiatus for the rest of the year.

I watch the shows that I like, with enthusiasm, but still change the channel at the end. That's not the same with my beloved Food Network. I'll watch the same episodes over and over and keep watching even after one show segues to the next.

So what is it that makes up Food Network addicts, particularly? Is it the natural human need to eat that keeps our eyes glued to FN, or does it just do a better job of keeping us entertained?

Labels: ,

 

12 Comments:

At 10/16/2007 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't watch "Top Chef," but that doesn't mean I abhor the looks of host Padha Lakshmi. She's a doll.
I watch "Inside the Actors' Studio", too, but mostly, I watch "Law & Order: CI" reruns. Once in a while, I'll watch one of Kathy Griffin's specials, and I've only viewed three of her "My Life on the D List" episodes.

 
At 10/16/2007 12:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, I'm pretty addicted to Jeff Lewis...

 
At 10/16/2007 1:36 PM , Blogger Kristina said...

I think FN is my default channel (hence making me an addict) because there is more consistently something that I can relate to, and thus enjoy. There are only a few shows that I don't really care for. I think FN has done an overall pretty good job with variety of programming but keeping the focus around food. (I think MTV has lost tremendous viewership because the network is no longer about music)

I also love Bravo's Wednesday 10pm slot (Top Chef, Project Runway, etc), but the other programming on that network, and other networks, aren't as appealing.

 
At 10/16/2007 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't compare the two networks. My interest is food so I only watch Top Chef on Bravo and I love it. I watch alot of FN because of the food. They really need to diversify though. So many travel related shows and cake challenges that I can do without. Even some of the hosts are starting to blend.

 
At 10/16/2007 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply - FN rocks!
Like you, I can just turn it on & watch whatever is on. It is always interesting & entertaining. And, there is always the appeal of watching Duff & the Ace of Cakes crew!

:-)
Wendy

 
At 10/16/2007 3:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think the bottom line is, no matter when you flip on the FN, it's pretty much guaranteed that the program will be about food. So if you love food and learning about it, you're bound to become an addict because most shows will hold at least a little interest for you. I fall into this category. I don't think FN does a better job than other networks - I think it's just the very nature of the network's singular focus that creates "addicts." I love Bravo for Top Chef and Project Runway because I love food and fashion, but I'll probably never be an addict because I doubt it will ever become a network devoted to one of the two.

 
At 10/16/2007 9:28 PM , Blogger bollyanna said...

Food Network isn't just entertainment, it's a way of life ;-) ! It's a channel that stays with you even after you turn off the TV. My boyfriend and I regularly consult the channel's website and browse through our collection of Rachael, Giada, Emeril, and Alton cookbooks for recipes.

Can't say I do that with Bravo shows. I'm never tempted to try Top Chef recipes (although I'll admit that I'm contemplating buying Padma's new cookbook). Oh, and I guess I've eaten several times at Chef Colicchio's 'Wichcraft in SF, so I guess I do have somewhat of a beyond-the-TV connection . . . but still . . . I don't really consider Bravo an entertaining resource like I do Food Network, ya know?

 
At 10/16/2007 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that what sets FN apart from networks such as Bravo, (to use your example,) is that they have managed to give viewers a mix--giving you variety sort of fused in with shows that all do center around the same topic, food. A viewer that is not in to reality TV can still find something entertaining--though I'd think that watching the awesomeness that ensues from the always appealing Ace of Cakes crew, would change the minds of the reality TV haters out there. I do have to say though: am I the only one that has seen enough Rachael? I don't want to start a virtual riot here, but wow!

 
At 10/17/2007 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I can sum up my feelings with the following phrase:

Shave and a haircut, 2-bits.

 
At 10/17/2007 10:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said clutch_fan_74 ;-)

Wendy

 
At 10/17/2007 10:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the FN, but none of the shows are "must watch" for me. Bravo has, on the other hand, created shows that I had to watch. I planned on spending every Wednesday night watching TV (something I rarely do) because I loved Top Chef. Even though I have zero interest in fashion, Bravo turned me on to Project Runway in a surprising way.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy FN and some of the hosts - but it's not a priority to see any of them on the first run, unlike Bravo.

 
At 10/17/2007 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Top Chef fanatic more than any show on FN although I do love their food network star series when they have them - but I am much less of an "addict" in the sense that when I return home (from a second shift) in the evening I shift my focus far more toward PBS and their creative line-up of better cooking shows. I do TiVO FN shows - the cancelled Sara Moulton and Mario B. and I do flick through it as one of my top 5 channels to see what's cooking - but more often than not - not too much cooking going on. . . Roberto desde la playa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive