about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Friday, May 16

Phrases That Need To Be Phased Out

I've written before about increasing dislike of food puns and food plays-on-words, used endlessly in both food-focused and mainstream media.

You know... everything is as easy as pie or a piece of cake!


I've tried to wean myself off of them, but everday's a struggle ladies and gents. =)

Well, I've been writing this blog for a few years and, as you can imagine, read quite a few other blogs and news articles daily to keep up to date.

Aside from food puns, I've found a few more phrases that need to stop:

1) Saying you "love me some ____________." Example: I love me some Wendy's!

Really? Do you "love you some" Wendy's? Well, so do I, but I don't feel the need to add "me some" to the sentence. It was cute for a while, but please stop.


2) Attempting to show emphasis by putting a period in-between each word. Example: BEST. SHOW. EVER.

Not needed, and now that my grandparents are doing this it's basically lost all impact.


3) Attempting to show emphasis by putting the word "period" after you make a statement. Example: Ina Garten will never not use good vanilla, PERIOD!

I'm all confused as to what punctuation mark you want at the end of that sentence. If you had done that in the 80s, your Apple II would have exploded.

That's it for now. Perhaps this will become a regular series as I discover more. Feel free to leave your ideas on phrases that need to be phased out in the comments.

Labels:

 

18 Comments:

At 5/16/2008 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey why not add some of Guy Fee' Useless phrases to your list ?

If I hear that pygmy describe one more food item as "money" I think I am gonna hurl.

 
At 5/16/2008 10:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the example about your Grandparents. That is so funny. I agree with Alec Smart. Basically anything he says is stupid. "off the hook" etc. Sorry, I'm not a fan of his. I wish FN would stop shoving him down our throats.

 
At 5/16/2008 10:54 AM , Blogger roopa said...

What?!?! Guy Fierrrrrri is totally money.

I'm kidding.

He needs to never be seen on television again. His voice hurts my eardrums (and his sonic the hedgehog hair hurts my eyes). Now that he does TGIF commercials, I can't even avoid him. My senses get assaulted by him at random times - shouldn't that be punishable by law?

 
At 5/16/2008 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess "Bam!" is on that list as well. Poor Emeril...first he blows up like a balloon, and now he's Martha Stewart's ah...um..."content provider." www.oatmealcookie.typepad.com

 
At 5/16/2008 11:39 AM , Blogger VCK said...

It's not food-related, but I absolutely loathe "step up to the plate." It was ubiquitous during The Apprentice's heyday--I think it was uttered approximately 15,000 times per show.

 
At 5/16/2008 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Swingers came out and everyone saw a hot Vince Vaughn saying everything was money and girls were pretty babies, it was cool to say 'money.' Now it is just sorta sad. Please stop people.

 
At 5/16/2008 12:11 PM , Blogger ckuretich said...

If I never hear anyone say "it is what it is" again (especially on a reality show!), I'll be happy girl.

 
At 5/16/2008 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My least favorite phrase that is constantly misused(forgive me if this has nothing to do with food)is
"...left for dead." I remember from journalism class in high school and college that the phrase should be used if a person had not died, but the assailant left and, maybe, thought the victim had died.
Often, the phrase is used to describe someone who actually died. Why not just say the person died instead of giving the false impression that there's some hope?

 
At 5/16/2008 1:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I also voice my displeasure over Gina Neely's use of word such as "sugar" or "brown sugar" to describe herself ? Or use the phrases 'show me some love sugar" or "my little spiceberry" . The thought of the Neely's getting jiggy is scary .

 
At 5/16/2008 4:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone please inform Paula Deen that many southerners are not in rapture over her ridiculous use of the word " y'all " every third syllable...

 
At 5/16/2008 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This doesn't pertain to food, but I can't stand middle-aged people saying "geeked", such as "They were all super geeked about it!" Grrr. (Oops there's another one!)

mundane

 
At 5/16/2008 9:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right, it's not food related, but I'll jump in with a peeve: "At the end of the day..."

UGH! At the end of the day, it is what it is...

 
At 5/17/2008 10:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything Gina, Guy, Rachael, and Paula say.

 
At 5/17/2008 12:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Tyler Florence. Have since his Doorknock Dinner Days.

While he does not use that many cliches or annoying phrases , can someone tell him to reduce his use of the word beautiful.

Yes Tyler, your organic pork chops are beautiful. We just don't need to hear this word 40-50 times per show.

And this request goes out to all others with shows that are told to "just keep saying beautiful" when lacking for other descriptives of what they are making.

 
At 5/17/2008 1:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot two things. Guy Fee' Nasty has this real bad habit of constantly repeating the words Okay or "kay" when making some of his masterpieces. No it's not Okay. Go away.

"Bad boys" . Everytime you call a food item a "bad boy" it might have a few reprobates in Laguna Beach cheering but just furthers your annoyance factor even higher.

Nice drum kit though.

 
At 5/17/2008 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Guy Fee-eddy's incessant use of "money" and so forth is nowhere as intensely irritating as Alton Brown's constant use of "Uh" and "Um" and "Ah" as a bridge between thoughts. I'm a fan, but I'm at the point that I can't watch his early stuff anymore.

 
At 5/17/2008 6:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ha ha..a few months back I posted on my blog about culinary idioms. Feel free to check it out.


http://thefooddiva.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

I always enjoy this blog, I want to be in the know of Food Network!!
Thanks for the info.

 
At 5/19/2008 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a related note, check out the "Food for Thought" entry at http://grammarphobia.com/blog. There's explanations of some pretty common food-related cliches.

I know...I'm a dork.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive