about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Monday, October 20

The Best Birthday at Butter

We had a wonderful time at Butter in NYC on Saturday night celebrating my birthday. Executive Chef and star of Food Network's The Cooking Loft Alex Guarnaschelli personally welcomed us and helped make the night extra special.


I started off with the romaine salad, which had a basil pesto and light caesar dressing. The romaine had been left mostly unchopped, so there was some pretty spectacular height to this salad. And the freshly shaved parmesan wasn't that bad, either.

Jared had a butternut squash soup that had a cute little side of freshly popped popcorn. "Elegant and earthy" as Ina would say.

For the main course, I had the olive oil poached striped bass. It was really good, but, to be honest, I could barely finish it! I was so full from the other courses Chef Alex had sent out to us. I remember a croquette of some kind, a creamy lemon pasta, and another involving some sweetbreads. (This is why I'm not an official restaurant blogger. I don't write things down!)

I am in love with the restaurant's design. A giant, sweeping arch of light wood and soft lighting encircles you above and really puts you in a different place (perhaps it's the forest photo [backlit to look like it's glowing] that does that too) and helps to set the mood.

We tried both red and white wines, plus the Butter martini which were all very good... and reasonable, for NYC.

A birthday isn't a birthday without cake, and even though we were stuffed to the max, we toughed it out and tried two different desserts (which I don't think are on the menu online). I even got a candle with, thankfully, no embarrassing song and dance.

We were really treated well by Chef Alex and the entire staff. I can't wait to return.

If you're in New York, definitely try to get to Butter. It has the fanciness you look for in a special night out and none of the pretense. We came straight from SNL in our jeans and Converses. Love those kind of places!

(PS- I'm still full. Need to do the 10-day detox or something now.)

Labels: ,

 

15 Comments:

At 10/20/2008 12:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great birthday meal at Butter. The photo was beautiful. How was SNL?

 
At 10/20/2008 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWANK ... Jacob ... SWANK !!!

 
At 10/20/2008 1:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fab and delish. Thanks for the review. I want to go there someday.

 
At 10/20/2008 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow sounds like you had a great birthday! snl was really good this week too

 
At 10/20/2008 3:57 PM , Blogger Prohomemaker.Com said...

So glad your birthday was extra special. I agree with the decor of the restaurant -- too cool the "forest" is just a photo. Fooled me in the pic.

 
At 10/20/2008 4:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Jacob, glad you had a great birthday, but you have some catching up to do! We need to hear all about SNL, and you need to tell us what you thought about the new shows Saturday.

 
At 10/20/2008 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, dude, they treat you like the Godfather. ;)

 
At 10/20/2008 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! LOL! I'm sure it was a fabulous meal. If you ever have the chance, you have to try out one of Gordan Ramsay's restaurants. I went to Ramsays at the Claridge in London and the food was the best I had ever had.

 
At 10/20/2008 10:35 PM , Blogger Freddy said...

Happy be-lated Birthday Jacob. Glad to hear you had a great day. Sounds like a great place to go to eat, I need to get to NYC soon!!!!

 
At 10/21/2008 1:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

So funny to think of POPCORN as a side dish to such an elegant meal! Love it though--sounds like your birthday was great!

 
At 10/21/2008 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you feel you received "preferential" treatment because you are the Addict ?

When will you move to NYC ?

 
At 10/21/2008 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That place looks like the inside of a cave, I LOVE IT!!!

 
At 10/21/2008 3:50 PM , Blogger Sunny Anderson said...

sorry i missed your bash. home stuff tired me out, couldn't hang with the youngin's. :-(, Happy Belated Birthday!! 1st ina welcomes you, then w&f fest and a butter bday to boot??? you need to just move to nyc ;-)

 
At 10/22/2008 2:20 PM , Blogger jacob said...

alec said: "Did you feel you received 'preferential' treatment because you are the Addict ?

When will you move to NYC ?"

I don't think so. Don't think I'm really important enough to warrant any kind of treatment, do you? I'm not from the Times.

I saw Alex out on the floor greeting other people. Another coupld had about 4 desserts sent out to them since they were celebrating a birthday, too.

 
At 10/22/2008 2:20 PM , Blogger jacob said...

oh, and I don't know if/when I'll move to NYC. Will let you know if I do! Gotta take down Diners, Drive-ins and Dives!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive