about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Wednesday, October 22

Michael Chiarello Promotes Braces-Friendly Halloween Treats; Kids Without Braces Laugh While Eating Snickers

Even though Michael Chiarello and his Food Network show Easy Entertaining is slowly fading into that region of very early morning programming -- sandwiched between an infomerical for Debbie Myers' green bags and an 8 year old rerun of Molto Mario -- the NapaStyle maven isn't slowing down.

Chi-Chi has teamed up with the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) to provide braces-friendly Halloween recipes for the more than five million children and adults in North America who currently wear braces.


"My family and I love to create special meals together, but when my
daughter recently got braces, we had to modify some of our favorite recipes,"
says Chiarello. The braces-friendly recipes we've come up with -- like Green
Goo Slimedoo and Black and Orange Bon Bons -- allow my daughter to enjoy the
holiday without causing harm to her braces. Plus, they are fun to make
together."


I never had braces as a kid, so I luckily never had to worry about these things. I also wasn't that big on candy, so my bag of sweets sat mostly untouched in a drawer all year long.

Still, look at all the things the AAO says kids with braces need to stear clear of:

- All hard candies
- All chewy candies
- Caramel
- Nuts
- Licorice
- Taffy
- Jelly beans
- Hard pretzels
- Bubblegum
- Popcorn (including unpopped kernels)
- Taco chips
- Ice

I'm fine without the licorice (yuck!) and jelly beans... and who is giving out ice on halloween!?! I guess in these tough economic times, that's what it's come down to.

"Alright kids, everybody gets one cube. You need help popping it out of the tray and into your candy bag? Have a happy Halloween now!"

I think I may try to give out ice just to see what the kiddies do.

Labels: ,

 

17 Comments:

At 10/22/2008 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I had braces I was told to stay clear of chewy candies like caramels and taffy because they could pull the braces out. The warning about ice is because crunching on ice, smallish cubes in particular, does something to braces. I don't remember what, though.

 
At 10/22/2008 11:12 AM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

I can't think of many things that sound less tempting than "Green Goo Slimedoo."

 
At 10/22/2008 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish FN would keep Michael's show! It's one of the few good ones they have left! His recipes are amazing!
~A

 
At 10/22/2008 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I liked watching Chiarello.
His recipes, his demeanor, his delivery, his themes, all were quite solid.

Is this game over for Mike ? I would hope not.

MAybe Tuschbaum thinks Fee-eddy's California style is more to our liking.

 
At 10/22/2008 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok i have braces and eat all of those things...now who really NEVER eats any of those foods when they have braces on? i can't name one of my braces-wearing friends(those are all of my friends)

 
At 10/22/2008 5:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had braces for about 5 years. The list of things you're not supposed to eat is insane. They even said no ice cream which I never understood. I ate whatever I wanted! No harm done.

 
At 10/22/2008 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so my bag of sweets sat mostly untouched in a drawer all year long
--

Dude, gross. Did you open your drawer six months later and have a pool of melted chocolate with a pile of sugar-crazed ants? (Since we've yet to invent a sarcasm font, I'll note that yeah, I'm kidding.)

 
At 10/22/2008 9:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Chi-Chi"...that's too funny. Cheers.

 
At 10/23/2008 3:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ole mikey needs to step outta the closet......

 
At 10/23/2008 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Mike C. is not done also. It might come across was more upbeat and entertaining during the first viewing of these new hosts but in the long run it becomes grating.

I watched a Down Home the other day for the spicy chicken recipe. Recipe was great but Gina bless her heart is just too over the top for me to watch the whole show.

 
At 10/23/2008 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"ole mikey needs to step outta the closet......"

LOL! He's married - to a girl! :D

 
At 10/23/2008 4:51 PM , Blogger Minima said...

{Why don't we have a sarcasm font? I totally need that.]

Never had braces but I totally appreciated the economy/ice joke. My first laugh out loud of the day. And it brought me out from lurking for the first time in the year or so that I've been reading your blog. Thanks!

 
At 10/23/2008 7:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got news for ya anon at 1:24....
he's married....to a girl.....

you obviously have NO idea about the huge closet a lot of guys live in.
especially the married to a girl ones.....

not that i have one darn thing against gay men who own their true selves in the least!!

 
At 10/23/2008 10:47 PM , Blogger Charles said...

Very true anon @ 7:20pm....it's so funny when women particularly make the statement that anon @ 1:24pm said. Marriage is just a front for a lot of DL men for them to ease the minds of their families and friends who alredy suspect something is up.

With regards to the article, Michael was classy. His show could be a little boring at times but he knew what he was doing and his recipes were appealing.

 
At 10/26/2008 5:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's called "living on the down low". If you google it you will find more info on men that do live "in" the closet.

 
At 10/27/2008 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because he has feminine attributes and loves the culinary arts, doesnt mean he is a closet gay. Sure I can see why some think he is queer. Not exactly Mr machismo straight dude.

He has been with the same woman forever. You can see they are into each other. Cameras don't lie.

Many people think I am a gay man as I have 2 great sets of matching china and great flatware and drinkware. I live in fine surroundings with nice appointments. I am an expert cook. I can be sort of faggy in a way. But gay I'm not. I love woman.Every inch of them. No desire to be with a man whatsoever.

 
At 7/16/2010 4:55 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Cull said...

My little girl has always loved her pink braces. I remember the day that she got her braces from our trusted dentist in Lake Forest, she was so proud. You can actually see the smile in her eyes. In reality, I don't have any problems with her eating hard candies because she is not a big fan of sweets and candies. My problem was when the time came that we needed to remove her braces. She was so sad. The only consolation that we could give her was that her younger sister asked her to pick the color for her braces. And yes- it was pink all over- again. I sure am glad that we have fantastic dentists (Lake Forest, IL based) nearby who takes care of our teeth.

Well, thanks for sharing your interesting name for Halloween recipes. I had fun reading your post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive