about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Thursday, February 12

Video: Sandra Lee Introduces Semi-Homemade Magazine

I never used to have magazine subscriptions. I already have a subscription to the Sunday Washington Post, which is mostly out of pity for the failing newspaper industry... and my lack of desire to get out of bed on Sundays. Somehow reading about the latest murders in DC or how traffic is only going to get worse makes me feel like I'm being productive, even if it's 1:30 and I'm still under the covers.

But I digress. For some reason now I'm getting Newsweek, Details, Entertainment Weekly, Food & Wine, and Food Network Magazine all delivered to my home. I have SO many magazines sitting around that I feel bad about neglecting.

Well, does this mean anything? Yes. Basically what I'm saying is: I cannot subscribe to Sandra Lee's magazine.

I just don't have the time! The same publisher used to send me Paula Deen's magazine for free, but since I never wrote about it they gave it up. The truth was, I wasn't really looking at it! I'd check out the cover photo, wonder who did Paula's wig that month, and maybe look at one recipe for something like "cheddar cheese corn grit baby food-- great for the grandkids!"

And now Sandra Lee is hawking her own mag, via its new website: semihomemademag.com


One theory that seems to pop up during a recession is that more people start eating at home more and eating out less. Ergo, they must want magazines telling them what to cook, right!?! Who cares that there are already about 15-20 titles out there doing a fine job. Let's load it up a bit more, shall we?

Thankfully, my blog friend Jordan Baker took on the task of reviewing the first edition. It is a must-read.

She covers, in great detail, each section of the magazine, including:

The personal letter from Sandra:
"...she goes into her usual spiel about how this is for women who have 'more tasks than time, and. . .must make every minute count,' and that she’s going to make this easy because she’s 'your go-to sister, your personal advocate, and your private cheerleader.' (7) Oy. There’s nothing more I hate than when this cow tries to play patron saint of the Everywoman.")

Sandra's recipe for Burrito Casserole, which is just a bunch of frozen burritos topped with cheese and olives:
"So basically her recipe for burrito casserole is to. . . microwave a bunch of burritos in the same pan. That’s not even Semi-Homemade. That’s like Semi-Truckstop-Foodcourt-made."

The feature called Kimber's Heirloom Easy:
"At first glance, it sounds like Sandy’s calling her sister old and cheap—Kimber is Heirloom Easy. But no, it’s possessive."

... and much, much more.

The thing I don't get is, if the people buying this mag are so time-strapped, how do they even have the time to read the Semi-ho's mag? Or go to the store to buy the ingredients? It's truly a mystery.

Anyone actually buy it?

Labels:

 

23 Comments:

At 2/12/2009 5:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Well I live in a region of the country where new little Suzy Homemakers are born each day (meaning they get married, and young!) - each one a scrapbook-making queen on the hoof, and not a one who knows how to cook.

These lil gals (bishop's daughters) straight off the potato farm will be the first gals to snatch up the mag, and think that Frozen Burrito Casserole with Cheese and (gasp) Olives (brilliant!) is the greatest thing since green Jell-o.

(We are, in our state and the one just our south, the largest per-capita consumers of Jell-o in the nation)

Aunt Sandy's gonna make a mint 'round here.

 
At 2/12/2009 5:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say what you will about Sandra Lee she's not dirty and vulgar like Paula Deen .

 
At 2/12/2009 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I live in GA and look at the magazines in the check out line of the grocery store. Paula is not selling with her mag.

 
At 2/12/2009 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad bad timing for magazines. People are more concerned about how they can afford spending money for food & utility bills not periodicals .

 
At 2/12/2009 6:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not a bad magazine. Some of her ideas are too too convenience oriented for my tastes, then again, I also subscribe to "Saveur" and "Food and Wine". She had some ideas I would consider, but definitely not with as many short cuts as she used. Her idea for an herb garden, although not totally original, got my cog wheels turning for an idea in my own home, as did some of her other home accent ideas.

It was a fairly interesting read, I don't feel I wasted my money on it.

 
At 2/12/2009 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jordan Baker is right about Aunt Sandy being the patron saint of crazy ass mommies. I've got three kids under the age of five and I can't tell you how rude and condescending this chick sounds when she starts to lecture me about getting it all together. I've got my shit together, thanks, and I don't need some skinny bitch telling me that I don't have my shit together if I don't watch her show or read her mag. That burrito casserole is making me want to puke.

 
At 2/12/2009 9:30 PM , Blogger Dan Nestor said...

Say What You Will,
But I Love Me Some Aunt Sandy

 
At 2/12/2009 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/12/2009 11:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok..Im gonna be bitterly honest... I cannot stand her show. She, in my opinion, is the queen of laziness. I couldnt imagine chowing down on hardly any of her "meals". Quit being a lazyass and cook... Honestly if you spent as much time on your recipes as you do on your tacky tablescapes, you would be doing something good. By the way, I kinda feel sorry for your nephew and other niece. You are constantly talking about Brycer this and Brycer that. What about your other nieces and nephews. Not cool, aunt Sandy. DONT play favorites. There, I feel better...

 
At 2/12/2009 11:54 PM , Blogger Angie said...

Does she even have any kids of her own? I'd be more likely to listen to what she has to say about busy moms getting their shit together if she knew what she was talking about.

 
At 2/13/2009 9:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't cook her meals either. She made these onion/quiche type appetizers once and I liked the idea and then she added a seasoning packet and it wasn't even needed........that was the end of her. And when she buys those pies just to scoop out the fillings? Don't get me started.

 
At 2/13/2009 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon 9:08--that pie thing drives me crazy!! It's so disgusting. It really isn't that hard or time consuming to make a pie. Jeez.

 
At 2/13/2009 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was your mission this year to meet and have a cocktail with Sandra ?

I think you need to get into your Butt Kissing mode if that is going to happen Jake.

 
At 2/13/2009 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jordan Baker's article was hilarious. My favorite paragraph was:

["So if the makeup brushes are in the plant pots and the plants are in the muffin tins, is it safe to assume that the muffins are in the make-up bag? Because I think that would get kind of crumbly."]

I laughed so hard I was crying. I'm LMAO just re-reading it.

 
At 2/13/2009 11:38 AM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

I was actually disappointed in the magazine--it's bad, yes, but it's not bad enough to reach "so bad it's good" calibre.

 
At 2/13/2009 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That burrito casserole using frozen burritos is just wrong. Doesn't matter what brand, those things are vile.

I would not want to be known as the food guru to lazy, stupid, uninspired people.

 
At 2/13/2009 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way. She uses frozen burritos and puts them in a casserole to boot. That's sick and I don't want to be around the person who eats it either.

 
At 2/13/2009 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you freakin' kidding me -- I thought this bitch was on her way out!!! People - please make her go away and stop buying into her shit!

 
At 2/13/2009 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pour a martini and watch her...and watch her for entertainment value, not for the cooking element. Sandy brings a smile to my face, ever sense I stopped scrutinizing her for anywhere near "chef" ability, she's grown on me. Makes me smile :)

 
At 2/14/2009 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops..SINCE DUH not "sense"

 
At 2/16/2009 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are onto something Jenna. If I can get past the food she is probably OK.

 
At 2/16/2009 4:44 PM , Blogger Doodle Whore said...

Semi HO! That's hilarious. If anyone needs a little more Sandra Lee to deconstruct, I just doodled her (and Anne): http://doodlewhore.blogspot.com/2009/02/gag-me-stars-of-food-network.html

 
At 6/01/2009 12:01 AM , Blogger WesternLady said...

Shame on Hoffman Media for publishing this piece of trash! After publishing such wonderful magazines as Southern Lady and TeaTime! Just screams "Martha Stewart Wannabe". Trash With Money!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive