about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Tuesday, June 2

7 Questions for Katie Cavuto - Next Food Network Star Contestant

The season 5 premiere of The Next Food Network Star is this Sunday, June 7 at 9pm ET. All this week, Food Network Addict will be featuring mini, 7-question interviews done with each of the contestants.

Meet...KATIE CAVUTO


Why did you decide to apply to be on The Next Food Network Star?
As a chef and dietitian, I am really passionate about bringing people back into the kitchen and sharing my knowledge living a healthy lifestyle. Having regular media opportunities in the Philadelphia area for the past several years (FOX, CBS, NBC) really sparked my interest in having my own cooking show. The more people I can reach with the information I have to share, the better!

Who are your chef / TV cooking star idols?
On Food Network, I like Alton Brown (because I enjoy food science), Giada (I am 100% Italian), Ina (I love using farm-to-table ingredients), and Bobby (because going into the show I was a huge fan and now, having met him I can truly say he is a great guy with a lot of talent and food knowledge). I also love Jamie Oliver and any chef who believes in the benefits of buying local, seasonal fare.

What does it take to be a great Food Network star?
Charisma, drive, knowledge, likability and a passion for food and teaching!

Did you feel prepared for the types of challenges you endured on the show? Anything in particular you struggled with?
The first challenge was exactly that, a challenge. It is not anything close to the kitchen environment I work in day to day running a personal chef business called Healthy Bites. We were forced to work in a team with people we had known a few hours (and were in competition with). We were cooking for huge stars and executives that we hoped to work with in the very near future.

I am super competitive, which I think has a lot to do with the fact that I was a gymnast for years. But all the culinary training in the world can’t prepare you for the challenges; they are meant to be tough, and they are – but really fun at the same time!

The need to have a clearly defined culinary point of view is brought up again and again by the judges. What's yours and how is it different from what we've seen before?
My culinary point of view is what I like to call “green cuisine,” which is all about eating healthy for our bodies and the planet. As a dietitian and chef, I am passionate about helping people achieve their healthy lifestyle goals. I am passionate about the benefits of buying local, seasonal, organic fare and how it impacts our health and carbon footprint. I think my culinary point of view is current, important and not currently represented on the network.

You were judged by lots of Food Network stars over the course of the show. Which star(s) were you most excited to meet and why?
In the first challenge, I was really excited to meet Bobby Flay, Bob Tuschman and Susie Fogelson because they can make or break my dreams! Meeting Alton Brown and talking nutrition was cool! Duff was great and hilarious! Morimoto is practically a legend, so it was an honor for him to taste and critique my food!

Apart from winning this competition, what goals do you have for the future?
I am determined to have my own show no matter the outcome of The Next Food Network Star. I want to continue to grow my business, Healthy Bites, and continue to help people achieve their healthy lifestyle goals! I would love to have a small organic grocery store and take out café, spokesperson products and companies I believe in, promote local farms, community supported agriculture programs and the benefits of organic, farm-to-table fare. The opportunities (and my dreams and aspirations) are endless…and very exciting!

**************

Thanks to Katie for taking the time to answer my questions. Good luck on the show!

Labels: ,

 

19 Comments:

At 6/02/2009 12:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Katie, why the long face?
GOOD LORD I love that joke...

 
At 6/02/2009 2:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah that is a good one.

 
At 6/02/2009 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just once let there be a Contestant that honestly says "Gee, folks, I'm OK in the Kitchen, hhenominal in the sack, and a Hi-Ho-Cherrio Hack who just bet his drinking buddies he could get on TV if he tried."

Oh wait -- they already have that, don't they?!

Eatting green is BS. Eat some other colors, will ya????

 
At 6/02/2009 3:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another moron willing to let them selves be humiliated on national television. Don't these people know what a joke they will become. Or that FN doesn't care how talented they are and that they already have a winner picked before the show even stats.

Where do they find these pathetic slobs?

 
At 6/02/2009 6:22 PM , Blogger Angie said...

Oh dear...I'm not feeling this one.

 
At 6/03/2009 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very interested in this young lady's point of view. It is important that the food we eat is not olny tasty but healthy as well.

 
At 6/04/2009 12:41 PM , Anonymous Mike said...

Seriously, 5:01, are you REALLY that interested in her point of view? You think she's some kind of authority on eating healthy? Personal chef = at home mom. LOL. Yes, I said that specifically to be inflammatory.

 
At 6/04/2009 1:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, you're an idiot. Katie is not a mother and she own her own business! She samrt, green and sweet, I can't wait to watch her win!

 
At 6/04/2009 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boring!!

I agree with Mike. Nothing worse that some busy body soccer mom know it all.

And I'm willing to bet 5:01 and 1:53 are friends or family members of Katie, if not Katie herself...thanks for posting!!

 
At 6/04/2009 8:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My MY..some people are jelouse of her already. Sorry to have to tell you this but I am not friend or family. I am simply a fan. And ,I don't get the impression that Katie is like the last seasons contestant/loser who blogged about herself...Alot !

 
At 6/04/2009 11:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sounds really fake, it sounds like she just wants to be famous, don't you wish they would just come out and say it.

 
At 6/05/2009 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

11:36 - Be fair... that's pretty much what Rory did two years ago and it blew up right in her horse teeth.

 
At 6/05/2009 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word jealous is a crock and so over used on all of these blogs. It's a blog. Every one has their own opinions. It's fun. Lighten up.

 
At 6/05/2009 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

8:16 sorry don't buy it you have an agenda.

And what dose Rory have to do with anything?

 
At 6/05/2009 8:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beleive there talking about sour grapes lisa.

 
At 6/06/2009 1:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get it now 6:35

 
At 6/07/2009 10:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can see Katie is out of her league....she's obviously no chef. She seems so unqualified compared to everyone else.

 
At 6/14/2009 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing that they kept her another week, it seems like she can't cook at all and she keeps crying on the show.

 
At 6/22/2009 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for it katie! I honestly think that of all the people in this contest, she will probably win it. We as a country are a bunch of fat ugly slobs. Everyone could afford to carve about 200 lbs off their arse.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive