about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Thursday, July 2

Food2 Open House at Spike's Good Stuff Eatery

I had a great time on Tuesday over at the Food2 open house, held at Spike Mendelsohn's Good Stuff Eatery. I'd been meaning to check it out ever since my blogging friend Jordan Baker wrote her begrudgingly positive review of the place.

So burgers, shakes, & Kelsey Nixon are promised? I'm in.


I ran into Kelsey the last time I was in New York and got to chat with her for a minute, but it was great actually spending some time talking about what's going on with her at Food2, her life, and what she thinks of this season of The Next Food Network Star.

Kelsey let me know they'll be shooting new webisodes of her show with Spike for Food2 very soon, this time in the close-to-DC Silver Spring, Md. (perhaps to accommodate Spike's need to be close to his restaurant?).

She's also living in New York now with her husband, doing spokesperson gigs for Pyrex and Smuckers, and still generally trying to "define her brand," a phrase she said with kind of a knowing eye-roll, realizing the inherent silliness in the statement--to think of yourself as a brand and not an actual person.

Let me tell you this, though: after talking with Kelsey twice now, I can assure you that she's definitely not the overly perky, hyper person brand you saw on last season of The Next Food Network Star. She's friendly and warm, but doesn't seem to take anything too seriously. She's not breaking down and crying over the slightest thing (like she may have appeared to do on the show).

What else we talked about:
The Next Food Network Star - Season 5
Kelsey was surprised by how many people were throwing others "under the bus," saying that with her cast they all made a conscious decision to not do any of that stuff in front of the camera. "All of our reputations were on the line," said Kelsey.

Kelsey also likes Melissa D'Arabian (but doesn't think she'll win), and was glad to see her assert herself in last week's episode, proving "she deserves to be there."

What's next for Kelsey?
Her contract with Food Network expires at the end of July, so she'll be open to a lot more offers. Food Network has a first right of refusal contract with all contestants for one year after the final episode airs. So when those offers from competitors start coming in right after the show, Food Network has the ability to prevent you from doing any of them... which can obviously lead to a loss of income, which isn't helped by the fact that none of the contestants on The Next Food Network Star receive any type of payment at all.

Sooooooo I really am hoping lots of good things come to Kelsey Nixon now (the soon-to-be contract-free Kelsey). I may have written some harsh things about "her" in the past, but even when I've done that I knew it was just the "brand" producers were giving us. Kelsey Nixon is not just the person we saw last year on TV.

Luckily, Kelsey's ready to start anew. Look for her on Food2... and I'm sure lots of other places, soon.

Labels: , , ,

 

24 Comments:

At 7/02/2009 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha you kind of look like brother and sister! So cute!

 
At 7/02/2009 10:30 AM , Blogger Freddy said...

Great post Jacob, I have always liked Kelsey, granted I am from Utah, but it was nice to get a first hand account of meeting her. I think most of the people on these shows are not showing us their real personality, just want the network wants to show us. I wish I could have attended, looked like a lot of fun.

 
At 7/02/2009 10:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob,
Sounds like she's doing great. I'm glad for Kelsey. When she was on NFNS she came off as a genuine person. Glad to hear positive things. You must really enjoy what you do Jacob.
Thanks

 
At 7/02/2009 10:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugggh, what an annoying b**ch she was. Funny, I was able to "define her brand" pretty well right there.

 
At 7/02/2009 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I read about NFNS, the less I like the show. We know that there is a great deal of editing happening to create the 'proper' look for the contestants. Too bad we can't just see them as they really are.

I wonder if the producers have encouraged the nastiness to increase the drama for the show. Just a thought.

 
At 7/02/2009 6:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jacob...

Any idea why Lisa Garza, she of the Romulan haircut and keen sense of self, isn't in the list on FN's Where Are They Now for last year's group?

 
At 7/03/2009 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's odd there's no mention of her. She was attention crazed and now not even a mention on where are they now, what's up !

 
At 7/03/2009 11:49 AM , Blogger jacob said...

@6:41 I've heard rumors that Lisa hasn't been that cooperative with FN since the end of the show. I think she declined to do the "where are they now" video.

 
At 7/03/2009 3:42 PM , Anonymous Alec Smart said...

Lisa Garza has every right to be pissed at Tuschwipe and Fogelberg.

She was robbed. Looks like Kelsey was robbed too. Everyone got robbed.

Aaron McCargo?? He of fried luncheon meat sandwich fame.Whart chef he is uh ? If I were Garza, I'd tell these asswipes to bugger off too.

 
At 7/04/2009 2:18 AM , Anonymous gordon said...

I had wondered if contestants were compensated. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

 
At 7/04/2009 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was no fan of Lisa. She was too full of herself fancy for the sake of being fancy. But I do think she has a right to be pissed. Everyone else in the final four or five get a show and she doesn't. Kind of funny but I can see where she'd be pissed off.

 
At 7/04/2009 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob, you are just so damn pretty!

 
At 7/04/2009 4:25 PM , Anonymous Dan said...

Dude, the faux-hawk is only making you look more bald. Let it go.

 
At 7/04/2009 5:24 PM , Anonymous Jenna said...

Jacob, you're beautiful, as is Kelsey! YAY Kelsey to upcoming gigs! Much luck to her and her new husband!

 
At 7/06/2009 12:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched Kelsey on a Food2 video and wasn't impressed. She seems VERY nice, but not someone I'd want to sit down and learn from.

Hey, I'm still wondering where Lisa Garza is!!! I'm dying to see her on TV!! I was SOOOO hoping she'd win last year!!!

Kelli in TN

PS- Amy Finley is still my favorite of all time!!!

 
At 7/06/2009 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Lisa was trouble. Why would FN offer her anything. No other contestant acted out like her.
I like Aaron, Adam & Kelsey. Good for them. I like the remaining contestants on this seasons show. Next week should be good.
Jacob,good for you most of all, you have wonderful opportunities to meet all of the FN chef's ect..

 
At 7/06/2009 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelsey grew on me during that season. She's better than anyone from this season. Probably not someone I would watch though.

 
At 7/06/2009 2:54 PM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

I'm so glad you finally made it down to Good Stuff--I need to schedule a repeat visit soon as I have an intense marshmallow shake craving.

And you and Kelsey DO kind of look related. . . .or like the "cutest couple" at your high school.

 
At 7/06/2009 2:57 PM , Blogger jacob said...

"And you and Kelsey DO kind of look related. . . .or like the 'cutest couple' at your high school."

Ha! A gay and a Mormon girl. Sounds kind of like real life, actually.

 
At 7/06/2009 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go Jacob !

 
At 7/06/2009 5:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you gay ?

 
At 7/07/2009 1:21 PM , Anonymous Jeff said...

To the anon fan who loved Amy Finley:
Amy, unfortunately, did not appear to be as confident as she should have been hosting her show, "The Gourmet Next Door." I think she assumed too much about her audience and the show suffered as a result. Perhaps it's best she vanished from the U.S. shores to France. Maybe she can learn there what George Duran and Ina Garten did and return one day triumphant over her angst.

 
At 7/08/2009 5:13 PM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

Ha! A gay and a Mormon girl. Sounds kind of like real life, actually.

You just described like NINETY PERCENT of my high school's alumni.

 
At 7/09/2009 11:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the hell did Aaron win over her? Ridiculous. She's not perfect but he's so awful. I'd watch her. I don't even know when he's on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive