about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Wednesday, November 11

Emeril Live Might Be Coming Back... But Not on Food Network

Despite fading away into the Food Network oblivion nearly two years ago, Emeril Lagasse recently hinted that his namesake "live" show Emeril Live may resurface soon... on a major network?!


"Somebody does not want 'Emeril Live' to go away. They just want it to be a little bit better," Lagasse said. "It is not the Food Network. It will be a major network and hopefully it will be a weekly prime time show."

Uhhh... remember how your last primetime show on a major network went, Emeril? (And WTF, Sherri Shepherd was in that?)

"It will be more variety I will have a lot of my celebrity friends on. Musicians and chefs and it will be a lot of fun. We will cook a little laugh a lot and we will keep it energized. I plan on making the big announcement this week but wanted to tell you."

We shall see about this, Emmie. I acknowledge that he's a good TV talent and great chef, but I just never got into Emeril Live... and I doubt a snazzier set or celebrity friends will do much to raise its blood pressure.

And just since it might be coming back, here are my original 4 reasons why I was fine with Emeril Live ending:

1. It wasn't live. True, Emeril was "alive" during the taping and in front of people, but it still--even after ten years--looked like an infomercial.

2. I hated that he came out from a bookcase in the beginning. Why enter through a bookcase? Did he have to jiggle the candlestick on the wall to get back through?

3. Even though it was live, it was incredibly old school with all the swap-outs used. Swap outs are done. This isn't a segment on morning television.

4. It really looked like an infomercial. I know, I know... there was many a cooking tip to learn during each episode, but I thought at any minute Mr. Lagasse might try to sell me something that could dehydrate meats and blend me a margarita at the same time.

*************************************

Hope everyone is enjoying their Wednesday. It's a rainy day here in the Northeast. If you're in the US and getting the day off for Veterans' Day, have a great one.

Labels: ,

 

12 Comments:

At 11/11/2009 11:45 AM , Blogger Chip Ramsey said...

it was called "Emeril Live" because of the studio audience.

Something tells me Martha got him a talk show.

I'm thinking he's not very happy with FN for dumping him on FLN. He probably tracks better with an older demo, but he's still a great teacher and a fun showman.

We'll see what the next chapter brings.

 
At 11/11/2009 12:21 PM , Blogger Charles said...

Awwww I liked "Emeril Live". Granted, it did get quite redundant at times, but I enjoy watching Emeril cook. How he describes the food, the textures, and how it relates to what he is making.

On a side note, Alex G. is similiar. She definitely knows how to cook and I do enjoy how she describes what she is using, her fond memories, etc... but there is an essence of weirdness, (pardon the pun), too her on her new show that is hard to overlook.

 
At 11/11/2009 12:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The husband and I have been watching the re-runs on Fine Living lately, and while they aren't all good, they did have some bright moments, like when Emeril would break the stand mixer or he'd make something that looked incredibly complex and beyond the reach of most home cooks either because of time, skill or resources needed.

I think a major issue with the show was that he'd run out of jokes and reuse the same ones, probably due to the fatigue of taping one of those shows daily--cutting down on the number of shows would do wonders for that. The swap-outs I mind less than you do, as I'm getting tired of watching people chop as they go. It may make for better TV, but I know I find cooking much more enjoyable if I do all the prep work at once, and then just go to it.

I completely agree with you on the celeb friends angle--having sat through the episode with Queen Latifah (which was essentially an infomercial for Last Holiday), that would not be fun to watch at all.

 
At 11/11/2009 2:53 PM , Blogger Alec Smart said...

I think you're just sore because Emeril still remains a viable property and FN has no claim to him or the money he would bring in anymore. If Emeril was coming back to FN , you'd be playing a different tune Jake.

I think his new show will benefit from a fresh perspective and environment. One where Herr Tuschman & Co. aren't involved.

I never saw Emeril pitching any products on his show. If you have a problem with that, what are your thoughts on much of the junk other FN personalities peddle ? Single out Fee-Eddi's and his crapola Knuckle Sandwich idiotwear and his Made in China Nascar knife sets.

 
At 11/11/2009 2:56 PM , Blogger AJohnP said...

I've never been a fan of his or his shows. I completely agree about the 'infomercial-ness' of his show. That, and the fact that it always looked like there was a jar of Vaseline smeared on the camera lens made me crazy.

 
At 11/11/2009 6:15 PM , Blogger RJ Flamingo said...

Well, I miss Emeril Live. I hate that FN dumped him onto FLN, and I hate that FN has relegated all its actual COOKING shows to Saturday morning.

While I enjoy some of the competition shows (Iron Chef, Chopped), they've really jumped the shark with all the ridiculous cake and candy show-piece challenges and Flay-time TV, etc. Used to be, they'd show the national and international cake & sugar competitions (which were awesome), but I guess they figured they could make more money doing this crap.

I miss the days when FN was about FOOD and teaching us about it. I, for one, would welcome Emeril back to TV, if it's mainly about the FOOD.

 
At 11/11/2009 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss his show. I still watch in the morning but there is one main improvement to be made:

do less recipes to give more time to the ones that are done. it seems like the dessert or the final dish is rushed in every episode.

 
At 11/13/2009 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved his show! Totally off topic, but I met him in 1998 at "Emeril's" in New Orleans. It was after closing time and a few tables were left, he stopped by for a minute because our waiter told him I was a fan. He ended up sitting down with us, buying us some desserts and later drinks. He was so fun - and a bit flirty - when he left he said to me, "keep smiling" walked a few steps, turned around, looked at me right in the eyes and said "...and you DO have a beautiful smile." It was a great night.

 
At 9/23/2010 2:25 PM , Anonymous Sildenafil said...

The show of this man sucks because he's all time so rude with the audience I remember once he broke a chair on the man's head.

 
At 5/25/2011 11:12 AM , Anonymous Handwriting analysis said...

Thank you for sharing to us. There are many people searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post. I would like to join your blog anyway so please continue sharing with us

 
At 8/05/2011 4:48 PM , Anonymous submit your website said...

Nice to read your blog on this website. different experience to read this blog. i get some awesome information throw this article.web directory

 
At 10/08/2011 3:09 PM , Anonymous Hcg weight loss said...

Oh wow, this got every one going - fascinating input mixed with a good read.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive