Friday, November 17
Well, Dave finally found a sandwich he likes enough to crown a winner in the Grain Foods Foundation's contest I told you about in August.
Tracey McCaughey of Ardmore, Pa. won America's Healthy Sandwich Showdown with her Grilled Chicken with Pomegranate and Caramelized Onion Reduction and Goat Cheese sandwich recipe. Way to Go!
Check out the Web site to listen to a podcast, watch some videos and bask in the glory that is Dave.
Here's the recipe:
Grilled Chicken with a Pomegranate & Caramelized Onion Reduction and Goat Cheese
- 4 whole grain Kaiser rolls
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced, about 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 ounces creamy goat cheese
- Leaves of 1 romaine heart
1. To make the Pomegranate & Caramelized Onion Reduction - In medium skillet or saucepan, heat the olive oil until warm and add the onion. Cook onion on med-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized. Add the pomegranate juice and honey, and cook for about 10 minutes until reduced to about 3/4 cup.
2. While sauce is reducing, heat grill pan on medium heat and grill chicken breasts until done, about 10 minutes. Slice each breast in half lengthwise.
3. Open rolls and spread goat cheese evenly on the bottom half of each roll. Place a couple leaves of lettuce on top of goat cheese and top lettuce with grilled chicken breasts. Spoon pomegranate reduction over chicken breasts and onto cut side of Kaiser roll lid. Top chicken breasts with roll lid and serve.
Serving size: 4 sandwiches
Labels: Dave Lieberman