about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Monday, July 2

TNFNS WEEK 5 and 1 Year Birthday

Everyone pretty much sucked last night, so not a lot of good pics here.

Alton Brown helped out the contestants as best he could this week in their on-camera demos.


His reactions (and crazy spikey hair) were more entertaining than the contestants, though. Sadly.

Adrien, Amy, Rory, JAG and Paul all had to use their least favorite ingredient in a dish that glorified said ingredient-- goat cheese for Rory, Lima beans for Paul. Sounds simple, right?

Not when you're crying at the dinner table over whether or not you even want to compete.



This episode focused heavily on Amy's self-doubt, even hinting at a request to go home in the judging room.

Now, regular viewers of reality TV competitions know of this common trick editors employ-- what I like to call the "heavy focus on one certain contestant's foibles with the intention of making it obvious they'll be kicked off only to, SURPRISE, not kick him off at the end" tactic.

Perhaps someone at Food Network's been watching
America's Next Top Model???

I wasn't sure if TNFNS was that advanced, though. Amy's crying and saying she didn't want the job as a FN host seemed like she'd OBVIOUSLY get the boot, right?

Well, after much turmoil, we return from break only to find out Amy WOULD like to stay another week. Oh the agony. Just decide already.



I'm beginning to worry that JAG really will be in the final two and that producers and execs are hoping he wins. Just based on his track record, he doesn't seem like the easiest guy to work with.


Adrien was sent home last night, despite having the highest number of MySpace friends. I still think his charm and previous experience as a cooking show host will work in his favor, just maybe not on the Food Network.

With the choices narrowed down to a Latinoish Guy Fieri (JAG), Southern Blonde Giada (Rory), Robin Miller mom (Amy), and third Hearty Boy (Paul), I honestly don't know who'll win at this point. Sigh.
*******************************************

I can't believe it's already July. Where is the summer going?

Anyhow, Mike's 1 year birthday post over at TV Food Fan (congrats!) reminded me of my OWN birthday over here.

June 27, 2006 was my first official post. It took me a little bit after that to get into my groove, but I think I've comfortably found my niche. I'm so glad there's other fans out there who care (almost) as much as me:-)

It's been a fun year watching my favorite Food Network stars and their off-screen activities. Many really have become known for "way more than cooking."

Let me know what you think about the blog. I always appreciate the comments and e-mails (foodnetworkaddict@gmail.com).

Labels: ,

 

11 Comments:

At 7/02/2007 10:36 PM , Blogger Jen said...

can i just say that i hate amy? she's so flippin' annoying...

on another note i absolutely adore this blog! thank you for keeping me updated on all the food drama!

 
At 7/02/2007 11:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I love the blog--keep up the good work!

 
At 7/03/2007 9:53 AM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

Looks like I didn't miss much this week. . .maybe I'll catch a rerun.

Happy blogoversary!

 
At 7/03/2007 7:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on a good year!
I am soooo praying that it is Jag gone next week. Ugh!

 
At 7/03/2007 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, with the crying, drama and Cheez Whiz psychoanalysis! The NYC board of health should cite Tuchelson for practicing psychiatry without a license. It sure looks like SOMEONE was on the padma this week. Oops, wrong show. Why are they prolonging Amy’s agony? She obviously wants to leave this mayhem, and return home to her family. Everyone knows she’s not a serious contender.

It’s astounding how the judges can lament the lack of “vision” or “point of view” in the contestants’ presentations, when they continually prescribe such harsh time limitations for each challenge. By necessity, the cooking philosophy of everyone in the group is: move your hands as fast as possible, without dismembering yourself. Even an experienced FN star like Mario or Racial would have a difficult time conjuring up a coherent 5-minute presentation under conditions like this. Sure, its entertaining television to watch everyone scramble around the kitchen in a panic, but it’s also hard to understand how the judges can realistically assess any of the contestants cooking chops during these challenges.

Paul is a scatterbrain, a rambling story teller, a hyper poodle. I don’t care if Paul changes his last name to Bocuse. I aint buying anything he’s selling…though I have to admit that the “Ooh, I’m burning myself!” line (in a Pee Wee Herman voice) made me laugh. Although Paul was judged to be the best of the worst, JAG lives to fight (or get dishonorably discharged) another day.

Congratulations on the birthday of your kewl blog! I’m detonating an M-80 in a watermelon, to celebrate.

 
At 7/04/2007 3:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm soooo glad Adrien didn't get to continue on. He looked like a Tyler Florance double but with half of the skill. To be fair, none of the contestants are all that likable though. I guess if I had to pick one I'd choose the gay guy to win. Of course we do already have a Michael Chiarello...

 
At 7/04/2007 4:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, we've had to endure another night of drama rather than actual cooking. FNTV should dub this show "The Crying Game".

Out of the group, I'm drawn to Jag the most. His dishes are different and I would be more apt to try to make one of his meals if he could just scale down the ingredient list.

 
At 7/04/2007 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I need to start signing these anon posts...I am starting to forget which one I AM.

After this past epi, no one has mentioned a possibility that Amy *OMG the dreaded snoot next door, muahahah* may be getting a "winner's" well "finalist's edit." It crossed my mind.
I think Paul (and he overcame adversity with his under temp meat) makes it to the finals. Any thoughts?
~sbp.

 
At 7/05/2007 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no disgrace in placing fourth(Adrien did drop the ball...he should have been cooking and speaking instead of just speaking). Remember, Nathan Lyon, who placed fourth in TNFNS2, now has a show on Discovery Health Channel, entitled "A Lyon in the Kitchen." Despite being unnerved and upstaged by Alton Brown at the segment about "field pieces," Lyon has learned his lesson well. His show is entertaining and informative, and, occasionally, even funny. Way to go, Nathan!

 
At 7/05/2007 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh please, not Jag! Boot his "overstating" butt. I cannot take another Guy-knockoff. (And let me tell you, I forced myself to watch Guy this past weekend. The show went something like this: Guy takes a huge, gross-out bite of food, Guy makes yet *another* tater tot recipe, Guy uses street lingo -- "bling;" Guy's chromosome-challenged friends stop by again to eat. Me? I talked to the TV a lot.

Harry

 
At 7/05/2007 8:07 PM , Blogger jacob said...

jen: you're welcome!

anon: thanks! can't believe a year has past.

conrad5: i know. the challenges really don't prepare the contestants at all for a show or let us figure out who would might be the best host. it's kind of sad that the show can't lean more toward that (since the challenges should reflect something associated with the prize) but with the competition from Bravo being what it is, i guess they were willing to do whatever it took. and i hope you watermelon exploded nicely.

anon: haha... except paul is actaully out of the closet.

aj: i admit that JAG is much more engaging to watch than a lot of them. i'm still turned off by his other sides, though.

anon: i hadn't given Amy much thought from the beginning, but she does keep slipping by. perhaps her crying last week was an attempt to garner sympathy. i think paul and her both have good chances of making it to the finals.

jeff: yes, i do remember nathan lyon and i'm glad he found an outlet for his show. i think adrien will do the same (as he's already hinted at in various articles in his hometown's newspaper).

harry: i know. enough with the tater tots.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive