about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Monday, May 19

Why Honesty Matters... Even in Reality TV

Each time a Food Network scandal involving dishonesty or embellishment surfaces, I get a ton of comments from people representing all sides of the argument. Some firmly agree with whatever decision is made, while others argue it's the network's fault for not "fully investigating" the situation. And still others believe lying is an acceptable and forgivable offense that shouldn't determine whether or not a person deserves to be on TV.

For me, though, if you want to be a TV star or compete in a reality TV competition, please just TELL THE TRUTH--about every single detail of your life!!!


Because if you don't want something to become public knowledge, it will. If there are aspects of your life you'd prefer everyone from the grocery store checkout kid to your Great Aunt Patti not know, then TV and stardom are not for you.

Ever since MTV broke ground with the first season of The Real World, people have had an unstoppable desire to share their lives via TV and now the Internet. Become a public person, and that focus on your "personal" life becomes all the more intense.

And I realize that this is rather absurd I'm even writing about this (don't people already know this stuff?), but I guess I'm starting to see that the thought and small promise of fame allows people to go to some pretty crazy lengths.

And, yes, I realize that saying you fought in Afghanistan or got Knighted by the Queen of England when you really did not are MUCH bigger lies than saying you're in your "late thirties" when you're pushing 45. I get it. But to me, the principle of being honest vs. embellishing, misrepresenting, lying (call it what you will) still applies. I do not want to see someone on TV who's been lying to me... about anything!

Also, I'm smart enough to know that saying someone is 39 instead of 43 won't do a hell of a lot to appeal to a younger audience, as TMZ ponders. I'm thinking about the bigger picture here.

[Allow me to preface the following, again, with the disclaimer that I do not personally believe at this time that Jeffrey Vaden intentionally wrote the age of 39 on his application to The Next Food Network Star. I have no proof that anything mischievous was or was not intended on his or others' part(s), but I am skeptical about the wording of FN's statement that he "mistakenly wrote" the wrong age.]

So that's why it's so puzzling to me that anyone would even think about misrepresenting something like their own age on The Next Food Network Star application, ESPECIALLY after the JAG situation from last season.

If it were me who was applying, I would be checking and double-checking every single item on that frickin' application! If I truly wanted to win, that's what I'd do. I would hate to think that some stupid mistake cost me the prize.

And if I'm not mistaken, you do have to sign an affirmation that everything you put down on that app. is true and correct, so it wouldn't hurt to do a quick read through.

Soooooooo... that's what I think. Frankly, I was just surprised I caught a slip-up that I assumed was a simple production error. Now, I'm not so sure.

Labels: ,

 

10 Comments:

At 5/19/2008 2:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

ITA.

 
At 5/19/2008 3:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZZZzzzzzz

 
At 5/19/2008 4:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob postulates: " I do not want to see someone on TV who's been lying to me... about anything!

Then that rules out just about 90% of mindless reality TV then uh ?

As well, I guess you need to stop watching ICA and the Food Network challenges because I can't see them being too truthful all the time.

 
At 5/19/2008 4:39 PM , Blogger jacob said...

"As well, I guess you need to stop watching ICA and the Food Network challenges because I can't see them being too truthful all the time."

To me, that's a willful suspension of disbelief. We know there's not an actual "chairman" and that the chefs already have their dishes mapped out. I'm not bothered by that. I think that's different than being intentionally deceitful.

 
At 5/19/2008 6:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It all goes back to integrity. Either you have it or you don't. You should always be who you are, say what you feel and represent the truth.

 
At 5/19/2008 6:36 PM , Blogger JordanBaker said...

Wait. . .what do you MEAN there's not an actual chairman?

(kidding)

 
At 5/20/2008 10:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before ICA Mark Decascos was a B actor appearing in lame-o tv programs. I think he might be part Filipino.

Do you think the judges award victories to Iron Chefs because they are Iron Chefs?

I can hardly wait till someone writes a "tell all" about the Food Network. Heck who needs another cookbook from Rachel Ray when what we really want to know is what really goes down at this curious little "network" ?

We could learn how Tuschman has been able to survive as long as he has.

 
At 5/20/2008 10:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least Mr. Dacascos appears to be Asian. Some years back, UPN(now merged into the CW with the WB network)ran a pilot called "Iron Chef USA" which had William Shatner(!)as head of the "American Culinary Academy." Uh-huh. As long as Mark picks up a pair of chopsticks to eat, and doesn't try to cook...I don't think that's intent to deceive.

 
At 5/20/2008 5:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said: "I do not want to see someone on TV who's been lying to me... about anything!"

In that case, seriously. Stop watching TV. In fact don't read, watch or listen to any media. Don't even talk with anyone on the street. Mary Poppins is dead. There is no man on the moon. The most honest person you'll ever meet is named Dr. House and he's imaginery too.

 
At 5/20/2008 5:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said: "I do not want to see someone on TV who's been lying to me... about anything!"

In that case, seriously. Stop watching TV. In fact don't read, watch or listen to any media. Don't even talk with anyone on the street. Mary Poppins is dead. There is no man on the moon. The most honest person you'll ever meet is named Dr. House and he's imaginery too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive