about this blog

Who is the Food Network Addict? He's the guy serving up the latest news and gossip on your favorite celebrity chefs. From Rachael Ray to Ina Garten, Paula Deen to Giada, he's got you covered. Stop by daily and feed your addiction.


blog advertising is good for you.

Thursday, July 10

A Look Inside Ina Garten's NYC Apartment, or How Can I Become Ina's New Best Friend?

If you watch Barefoot Contessa regularly, you've seen the home of the one-and-only Ina Garten. The large East Hampton estate—with its vast gardens and stunning kitchen that served as Ina's original set—was recently complemented with the construction of a new "barn" featuring an even larger kitchen, as seen in the most recent episodes. Ina and Jeffrey also have an apt. in Paris.

But guess what...


House Beautiful got the grand tour of Ina's Manhattan apartment.

Ina lives the opposite of most New Yorkers with a Hamptons hookup, spending most of her time in the Hamptons (even the winters, we're told) and only venturing into NYC from time to time. Still, when she does make it into the big city you know she's not living in some studio apartment down in Chelsea.




Ina on decorating:
"Everything has to be of a certain scale. Lots of little things would look ditzy. When I travel, I like to shop. I found two sofas that I liked in Belgium. I knew they had to be highbacked, because of the volume. I found a coffee table I liked, so I bought it. Then I put it all into the apartment, and it was just horrible. I had the sofas near the window and a library table by the bookcase, and it felt like two rooms. I wanted to throw it all out and start over. Then I was here with a friend and he started moving furniture around, and literally ten minutes later I thought, Oh my god, it's done."

Ina on the kitchen:
"We did a really streamlined kitchen with a cooktop, an under-the-counter refrigerator and freezer, a dishwasher, huge drawers. In a funny way, I actually like a smaller kitchen. It's much more efficient. I tend to like things spare anyway. I can't stand clutter."


[Images via House Beautiful]

Labels: ,

 

27 Comments:

At 7/10/2008 7:00 AM , Blogger Matt Brown said...

I'm always amazed at single people (like Martha Stewart) or couples (like Jeffrey and Ina) who feel the need to have multiple (more than 2) homes. They need to listen to George Carlin's "stuff" bit.

 
At 7/10/2008 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want 1/16th of ina and jeffreys money.....

 
At 7/10/2008 11:15 AM , Blogger Lys said...

I just can't picture her working in a small galley-esque kitchen after watching the show for so long.

 
At 7/10/2008 12:38 PM , Blogger Erin said...

The Hampton house is so much better. I'm just going to forget all about their city home now and that ghastly little grey kitchen.

 
At 7/10/2008 2:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they need the extra homes... since Jeffrey is rarely home. What a strange marriage!

 
At 7/10/2008 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Then I was here with a friend and he started moving furniture around, and literally ten minutes later I thought, Oh my god, it's done."

Thank goodnes Ina has the right gay friends!

 
At 7/10/2008 4:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dare I ask what that is a picture of on the wall behind Ina in the top photo?!

 
At 7/10/2008 5:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that NYC apartment Jeffrey's love shack throughout the week when Ina is out in the country with her florist friends making muffins and tablescapes ?

 
At 7/10/2008 7:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having lived in a tiny Chelsea studio for nearly a decade and for the last 2 years in a larger apartment in Chelsea, I can honestly say I have serious, serious Ina-kitchen envy. Hello? This kitchen is friggin' enormous by Manhattan standards!!!

 
At 7/10/2008 11:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

re : Dare I ask what that is a picture of on the wall behind Ina in the top photo?!

YES you may! it is a study of a womans (bare) back with her long braid falling in the middle.....

 
At 7/11/2008 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a strange marriage at all. I, too, have a husband who happens to work out of town and is generally home only on weekends. For us, it's not ideal, and it's temporary, but many many people live this way and it can work just fine.

 
At 7/12/2008 12:44 AM , Blogger amanda said...

"A small studio apartment in Chelsea"? Referring to anyone we know??? I want to visit Ina. I think we would get along famously. And if she likes small kitchens, she should come visit my old one.

 
At 7/12/2008 8:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something about Ina's apartment that reminds me of Tudor City. Anybody else get that vibe?

 
At 7/12/2008 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it's the windows and exposed beams...

 
At 7/12/2008 10:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh



my



Gawd!



How fabu.

 
At 7/15/2008 9:18 PM , Blogger Charles said...

Thx for posting the pics and article Jacob. Ina definitely likes the clean lines and simple look as she stated in the article. I love it. I've noticed that a little on her show. When she filmed from her home you could see down the hall and sometimes part of the room and all you could see was the shiny wood floor. It looked so bare. Simple and classy. Love her! Leg up!

 
At 7/18/2008 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ina...the saving grace of fn!!! saint Ina....patron saint of culinary accumen and entertaining and living in style!!!...love Ina...she is the real deal and the only reason to watch this ever evolving into more abysmal dumbness that is fn..

 
At 9/15/2008 1:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ina rules! Thanks for the photos of her NYC home. It's stunning but I can understand why she rarely leaves E. Hampton - it's so peaceful and serene. I can't wait for her new shows (altho' I happily watch the old shows over and over).

 
At 1/07/2009 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny you all are making your little digs about her or anyone who has worked really hard for their success. In middle school we used to call that jealousy, but as adults I guess it is just called petty...

 
At 1/07/2009 10:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny you all are making your little digs about her or anyone who has worked really hard for their success. In middle school we used to call that jealousy, but as adults I guess it is just called petty...

 
At 6/29/2009 6:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know the name of the gourmet grocery store where Ina shops in the Hamptons?

 
At 6/30/2009 6:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ina is my favorite foodtv chef. Her recipes are really fool proof. I don't hesitate to make her recipes for friends without testing it first- a rule I rarely break. I enjoy her voice -it's so soothing- but I could do without the laugh!

 
At 6/30/2009 6:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ina is my favorite foodtv chef. Her recipes are really fool proof. I don't hesitate to make her recipes for friends without testing it first- a rule I rarely break. I enjoy her voice -it's so soothing- but I could do without the laugh!

 
At 7/20/2009 11:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think Ina is an amazing person, and not only her personal style but food is out of this world. Anybody who says otherwise is a douche bag.

 
At 8/26/2009 2:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just love Ina. Love her food and her style.

 
At 4/25/2010 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Manhattan MLS listings just got better with few companies now offering comprehensive apartment and real estate search such as halstead . VOWNYC.com Prudential condo domain and more.

 
At 8/24/2010 6:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Lynn - UK

I love Ina. I know it's scripted with friends but her simple, easy to follow recipes are such a treat. Her house in the Hamptons is out of this world and whilst I would love it all, I don't envy her. Their hard work and separation deserve their rewards. It's also probably why their marriage has lasted so long. Long may she reign.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

CrispAds Blog Ads

twitter


blog archive